Tuesday, September 8, 2020

HOW TO GET ORGANIZED

The truth is, I have no idea. I mean, I'd like to tell you that I am an INCREDIBLY well organized person, but I can't, because I'm not. So in recent years, especially as my brain has begun to atrophy, I've tried to use as many established organizational techniques as possible to prevent myself from losing control altogether. 

Unfortunately, there have been issues with each of these methods.

1. KEEP CALENDARS UP TO DATE.
This is a basic strategy, but I'm sorry to report I do not manage it well. I'm pretty sure the calendar in my kitchen is accurate, give or take a few birthdays and my next colonoscopy appointment. But that calendar never seems to match the one on my phone. Or the paper calendar I keep in my purse for the times that I forget my phone. 

2. MAKE LISTS. 
I love lists. I love to make them and I love to cross things off of them. I even add items that are already completed just to have the pleasure of scratching them out. I keep lists on note pads, lists on my phone's reminder app, lists on computer sticky notes, lists on the side of the refrigerator, and lists on the backs of whatever envelopes have recently come in the mail. The problem is, I have no idea which list is where, so they're all pretty much useless.


3. HAVE A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING. 
I suspect I need to work on this a bit. For example, I recently found a hammer and a screwdriver in my bathroom drawer, which may explain why there are a couple bottles of Redken shampoo and several cakes of Irish Spring soap in the garage. Otherwise, I follow the "place for everything" tip pretty well. 
  • The place for unclaimed mail and outdated Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons is on the Lazy Susan on the kitchen table. 
  • The place for old newspapers is on the floor by my husband's desk. 
  • The place for my grandson's toys is all over the house.

4. CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK. 
I learned the importance of this a few years ago when I purchased 8 tickets to a New Year's Eve show and found out, after our group arrived, that the tickets were for the previous night's performance. But double-checking has not really helped, either. For example, I recently double-checked the destination and date for some airline tickets as I bought them, but I did NOT remember to hit "confirm order." Because of this, we nearly missed the bris of our grandson in Scottsdale. Luckily, he turned out to be a girl. 

5, KEEP A NOTE PAD BY YOUR BED. 
This is supposed to allow you to capture all of the Very Important Thoughts that pop into your brain just as you're falling asleep or when you wake up in the middle of the night-- the ones that you know are essential for you to attend to the next day. As near as I can make out, my tasks for today are 


And yes, these are real. Extra credit if you can figure them out, since I couldn't.    

6. FINISH ONE TASK BEFORE MOVING ON TO THE NEXT.
I'm okay with this if "one task" means leaving the the TV show I'm watching to head to the laundry room when the dryer buzzes, but first stopping to let the dog out, and then looking at some stuff on TikTok while I wait for the dog, and then running to the den to show my husband the funny video I found of a swimming squirrel, which reminds me to go back to the kitchen to let the dog in, which requires cleaning up the mud the dog tracks in, after which I finally head back to my TV show. Feeling that I may have forgotten something.   

7. USE DOWN TIME WISELY. 
This is especially important during quarantine, when almost all time is down time. So I was quite proud of the fact that, after exhibiting true dedication and determination, I reached Level 527 of Papa Pear.  But then I found my husband had reached Level 2745 on Cookie Jam, and I'm feeling greatly discouraged.   

That's enough for this blog, I suppose. I had some more tips, but I can't find that list.

3 comments:

  1. The polite term for this is multitasking. I suffer some of these same flaws. It comes from having multi kids and working, and constant juggling. Very hard to change in down time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny and so true - I am still laughing! Wait, were you writing about me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Do YOU think it’s you? But no, sadly...this is all me .

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about today's blog!