Tuesday, November 24, 2020

FAILING SOCIAL MEDIA

We are all dealing with big, important questions these days. Just this evening, for example, my husband turned to me with a troubled expression and asked, "So…what exactly is TikTok?" 

I shook my head despondently. "I have no idea. At first I thought maybe it was a character in a Pixar movie, but I realized I was confusing it with Forky. And then the girl who cuts my hair told me I should check out her TikTok dance, and I asked her if it was something like 'I'm a Little Teapot,' but with a clock." 

"And?" 

"And she just patted my arm and gave me a sad look." 

Now, you need to understand that I have tried very, very hard to stay on top of social media. I never referred to "The Facebook." I spoke knowledgeably about LinkedIn, discovered Pinterest, opened a Twitter account, and once impressed my kids when I mentioned I'd been on Reddit to find out what everyone thought L + R = J meant in Game of Thrones

There was also the period where my husband and I discovered emojis and GIFs (which I admit I am still not sure how to pronounce correctly). We were really proud of ourselves until our sons told us to stop. Immediately. 

😢😢😢

I was pretty much ready to listen to them, too, because I realized that every time I figured out one social media innovation, another popped up and made me feel stupid. For instance, when everyone under 30 fled Facebook in droves, I took a deep breath and dove into Instagram because that turned out be one of the easiest ways to see my Arizona granddaughter, whom impartial observers agree is the most adorable girl-child on the planet.. But suddenly everyone on Instagram started adding "stories" and graphics and music and other embellishments that require a degree in cinematography. I became depressed.

In fact, I almost gave up social media entirely. Luckily, before I did, I discovered some additional, very important benefits of remaining on Instagram. Click "Read More" to learn about three of them.

THE ROCK


THE NORSE GOD


THE EMOTIONAL-SUPPORT CANADIAN


Yep, that's right. You can follow famous people. Specifically, good-looking, muscular famous people who post pictures on a daily basis. And that, my friends. is the best argument for sticking with social media. Maybe even better than grandkids.

4 comments:

  1. Every word is so true! Boy, can I relate. Happy and safe Thanksgiving to you and your gang❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think EVERYone our age can relate! And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Now I have to look up George Clooney on FB....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh. Need to follow him, too. But it’s INSTAGRAM, Jacquie!! then you get new stuff all the time!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about today's blog!